Thursday, April 12, 2012

What the hell is downloading all that stuff under netsvcs?

I like to play online games, and just about nothing is as annoying as lag during those games. One thing that however does make it worse is lag caused by download that you can't identify. So I am playing a game on my free time, all of a sudden my ping times jump to 999ms. Naturally I look at my connections see that process with PID 428 is downloading something. Quick look in to task manager and found out that 428 is netsvcs. That then doesn't make things really much clearer as to what is the culprit of in downloading large amounts of data, in this case from 92.123.155.59. Which ripe shows as being owned by Akamai Technologies. This still doesn't make things any clearer as I don't remember, and can't find by quick search of anything on my computer by Akamai.

Step in wireshark, filter on ip and immediatly we see the following:
33378 739.213642 192.168.0.149 92.123.155.59 HTTP 335 GET /pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi HTTP/1.1 

So yes pointless post most likely, I just wish companies that do use auto updaters would clearly show when they are downloading, and what. If apple had had a clearly labelled updater in task list I wouldn't have had to go thru all that just to find out that acrobat is downloading update. But in one respect it was good thing, now I do not have acrobat reader on my desktop computer anymore since it has been replaced by foxit reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment